Melissa’s Road Race is a run/walk race that is celebrating its 39th year in Banff. The event attracts up to 4,500 participants as well as spectators cheering on the runners and walkers. Participants choose to race 5 km, 10 km or 21 km. The event has been completely sold out this year.
WHEN & WHERE
Saturday, September 22, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
The event takes place largely in the Town of Banff. For specific route maps visit: www.MelissasRoadRace.ca
– Cave Ave will be fully closed from 10:29 a.m. to 10:50 a.m. at the start of the race. There will be a partial lane closure until 11:30 a.m. and the road will be fully open after 11:30 a.m.
– Banff Ave bridge will be closed on Saturday for 15 minutes to allow racers to pass through at the beginning of the race (10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.)
– Tunnel Mountain Drive will be closed in both directions between Tunnel Mountain Road & St. Julien Way from Friday at 11:30 p.m. to Saturday at 12:15 p.m.
– The Golf Course Road will be reduced to one lane on Saturday between 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m., and the Golf Course Loop will be closed. Fairmont staff will be guiding traffic along one lane to and from the golf course during the event.
– Visit banff.ca for the complete list of all in-town lane and road closures.
IF RESIDENTS AND VISITORS ASK:
All routes will be monitored and managed by volunteers and traffic management personnel. A sweep vehicle will follow the last racer and open roads as soon as they have passed by, which lessens the impact on traffic and visitors in the Town of Banff.
The course will be monitored for wildlife, and racers will be delayed or redirected if necessary during the event to ensure safety for both wildlife and participants.
The race was purchased by a new owner this past year. The current and original owners are working together closely to ensure a seamless transition.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
In Park Special Events & Promotions, Visitor Experience
Office of the Superintendent | Bureau du Directeur
Parks Canada Agency | Agence Parcs Canada
Banff Field Unit | Unité de gestion, Banff
Telephone | Téléphone (403) 762-1510
Facsimile | Télécopieur (403) 762-1583